08 March, 2006

It's a garden! No, it's a history lesson!

Well, I got my order for seed in to Baker Creek Heirloom Seed yesterday. I was going to order from them last year, but the cash was not there and I had to content myself with stuff from walmart. Good enough for what it was, but mostly not worth saving seed from. This year I'm going to try to save seed from a couple of the plants I'm growing and see how it goes.

Some of the more exciting seed I ordered this year includes:

  • Giant Musselburgh leeks, a Scottish variety from before 1811.
  • annas d'amerique a chair verte, a melon developed by Thomas Jefferson (the name is French for Green American pineapple, which melons are called in French).
  • Cherokee trail of tears beans, brought with them on their long, forced migration.

We did soil tests yesterday for science. Our land was heavily worked farmland before we got it, so, not surprisingly, there is almost no nitrogen. However, the pH is perfect and we have plenty of potassium and phosphorus, which is quite a bit of a surprise.

No comments: