23 August, 2006

Catholic apologetics?

My brother and sister-in-law are in the process of joining the Catholic Church. Yay for them, seeing as they were alternately Buddhist, Agnostic, and Atheist. However, Catholic wouldn’t have been my first choice. I have been doing some heavy-duty research into Catholic doctrine, as I think a family should be as ecumenical as possible, and I want to really understand what they believe. So, I’ve been perusing various Magisterium-approved websites on Catholic apologetics, and been on a steady diet of books provided by my sil.

So far, all I can say is that the quality of the defenses of doctrine that I’ve seen so far leaves much to be desired. Even on the points where I agree with the topic at hand I find that the “proofs” provided are sloppy and full of holes. Now, it could be just that the authors are going for brevity and don’t want to loose their audience (the dumbing down that plagues all the corners of Christendom), but I expected more. I mean, this is the same Church that nurtured Chesterton and Aquinas, right?

Which leads me to the conclusion that I am going to have to break down and read them. I have always intended to, but don’t really have time to slog through a translation right now and I don’t have the Latin skills yet to comprehend the original. I guess I will have to start with Chesterton, but I’m not even sure if he ever wrote anything approaching a definitive apologetic. I also could call a priest and just ask him my questions, but I feel like I’d be taking up way too much of his time, since I have no intention of converting. What’s a girl to do? Maybe I can find a priest we could “bribe” with food and have come over some time. At least if I feed him I won’t feel like I’m bothering him. Hmmmm…. Decisions, descisions. Any Catholics out there with suggestions? What would the protocol be for approaching a priest with a pile of what-ifs? Is there a good meaty modern apologetic?

1 comment:

Larry007 said...

Sorry you are having a time of it getting good Catholic information. I am glad for your brother and sister in law - glad they are joining.

Catholicism is not just a simple religion to know. You can look at the creeds we use - Nicean Creed, Apostles Creed - but other Christian churches believe them too. Be careful of the priests you ask - they may know what we believe but may be rusty in how they explain it - Talk to one who is involved with RCIA - the adult meeetings for those who want to become Catholic. They would have clearer ideas and explanations - You might ask someone who has been teaching RCIA for some years too.

Now you have to figure out what you want to know - do you want to know what we believe, what we do and what it means - or - do you want us to defend our faith and practices against any questions you may ask about why - or do you want us to convince you that what we believe and do holds water and will stand up to your satisfaction against anything you may ask or challenge you pose.

Read the Catholic Catechism - or some Questions and Answers books or visit www.missionmoment.org/links

Read the materials that your brother and sister in law are reading to find out more. Depending on good catholics or blogging catholics is limited since they may be able to explain the basics but don't know what to do with challenges or certain ideas you think are fundamental but they just believe in.

Good luck - Blessing on your life. Enjoy celebrating with your brother and sister in law when they finally become Catholic.