04 May, 2006

Call me a pessimist, but....

"You can't talk about what is probably an irreversible decline, accelerated by technology, in our ability to read and think."--Mere Comments (HT: Mungo)

Let's face facts people. Our society is in decline. Whether we are going to go the way of the Roman Empire or the Tribulation is up for debate, but something is going to happen, even if it isn't completely catastrophic. We are in the midst of decadence, and not of the "Wow, that chocolate-on-chocolate cake looks yummy" variety. Assuming we aren't going to see the Lord coming in the clouds any time in the next seven years or so (which is not something I'd bet money on at this point), classical homeschoolers are going to be the life boat that education escapes in.

Much like the monastics of the 400's we set ourselves apart from the mainstream and are self-dependent. We are attempting to preserve a mode of learning thought to be useless by the "experts" responsible for much of the decline in the first place. Call me an elitist or an alarmist, but that's how I see it. I'd love to be wrong, but I just can't trust my children to a system in obvious decline.

No comments: