02 May, 2006

Election Day Musings

The craft show this weekend was held at the local high school. When this happens, two things are sure to follow:

  1. I will have to remind Mary *again* how one behaves in a school, to not run down the halls and do gymnastics.
  2. I will meet some of the unfortunate inmates and feel sorry for them.

I met a really interesting girl Saturday. She was this freshman, fish-out-of-water, proto-goth girl. She reminded me of myself at that age, feeling like a geek but trying to carve out her own identity. I knew I'd like her when I saw her. Black shirt and pants, red goth tee shirt, green neck tie. She had the same outlook on fashion I did at that age, be unconventional in an unconventional way. The difference being, she dresses that way every day, while I was not courageous enough to do it more than occasionally.

When she found out I homeschool, she stayed to talk, and when she found out that I disagree with the concept of the public school, I was her new best friend. So, we chatted about why the school system is the way it is and about politics. She self-identified as a liberal, and asked me what I thought of Bill Clinton. I told her I didn't like him because I didn't agree agree with his politics, but even if I did I still wouldn't like him because he's self-centered and has no respect for women.

I have a theory about whom to vote for. I refuse to vote for any candidate I wouldn't invite into my home. The person has to be generally decent and honest. I can put up with a little prevaricating or ego, as long as it is not the overwhelming aspect of the person's character. It's also why I could never vote for Clinton, Kerry, or Bob Taft (our beloved governor). As a matter of fact, I voted for Hubby for governor as a write-in last year, just because I couldn't bring myself to vote for any of the candidates. (If there'd been a libertarian on the ticket I probably would've voted that way.)

Back to the girl. When I said that she just looked sort of thoughtful for a moment and then nodded her head in agreement. I hope I struck one more blow for Truth and Justice and got that girl to see beyond the politics to the person. If the person isn't any good, it doesn't matter what his politics is, they will be corrupted. Now, we're all flawed people, so we're all going to corrupt our ideals to one extent or another, but my money is on the guy whose flaws are less egregious.

So, Ohio, go out and vote today. My vote for governor will be Ken Blackwell (because he's a stand-up guy), but, whoever you vote for, make sure it's not Jim Petro. He's just Taft Jr. I think I'd rather see Strickland than him.

No comments: